Mageia Bugzilla – Bug 2120
[Tracker] Implement systemd in Mageia 2 - specifications
Last modified: 2012-05-17 16:14:32 CEST
Systemd is part of proposals for technical specifications fr Mageia2.
This bug is about question of its integration in cauldron and the way to do it
- make it smoothly: have both in parallel while it's not all integrated
- tests, QA, services modifications...
Hi guys, I read we can shout here so:
1) first thing to say from userland: motivations?
I hope systemd is no like another useless fashion program such as haldaemon and really brings an added value concerning usage of mga; or at least it's devel. Nobody seems to discuss this, maybe it is obvious?
2) On mandriva however, it deeply sucked. My own experience was that a lot of not-so-standard stuff were broken (like multi soundcards, modprobe config files no longer read and so on...) and nothing really cool happened on the user's side. So if this is going to happen on mga, it should not happen like this has been done on mdv.
3) Strongly against having both since it decreases the number of testers that would be forced to use systemd otherwise, and this will decrease our ability to debug it. Again, from the mdv move, I would even say that fixing issues in one may induce bugs in the other.
(In reply to comment #1)
ad 1: systemd allows fast booting and shutdown, and cleaner shutdown. Dependencies between startup tasks can be evaluated cleanly (systemd simply makes the task that depends on something else wait, instead of systemd waiting itself and then notifying the task). I think it also provides powerful analysis tools, logging is more robust, etc.
ad 2: I hope someone can list these problems (in a bit more detail) and we should verify and if necessary solve each one.
ad 3: IMHO we should not try to support the old init system even though it will likely still be provided in mga2. If people have problems with it the advice should be to switch to systemd.
And one question of my own:
Is systemd supposed to be used for new installs only or also for upgrades? In other words, are we going to "force" people to switch from old-style init/scripts to systemd + a few old scripts?
Assigning to maintainer now that our maintainers database has an entry for
this package. Please assign back to firstname.lastname@example.org in case of a mistake
We don't know who really work on systemd so please look at depends bug. Thanks
coling and I, are for now the more working on systemd but everybody can come to help :)
Adding a named query for systemd bugs (might be easier to manage systemd related issues)
General ping for Alpha 3
All bugs now fixed! \o/