Description of problem:
With a newly installed mga8 on a mga7 computer, hibernation does not work anymore. More precisely hibernating (for example via "systemctl hibernate") seems ok. Yet it reboots "normally", ignoring the stored image
Comparing this mga8 computer with another "unmigrated" mga7 computer reveals that the "resume" module in dracut is missing, replaced by "kernel-modules-extra"
A workaround is to manually add the module in 51-mageia-resume.conf
add_device+=" UUID=2b1f437b-3e28-4f03-adce-19e79a021be8 "
add_dracutmodules+=" resume "
localhost dracut.conf.d # dracut -fv
Then hibernating works again.
Hi, thanks for reporting this bug.*
I put my system to hibernate state (leaving a LibreOffice and Firefox opened to make sure the difference).
Rebooting leads me to sddm asking me for new session, no LibreOffice nor Firefox window opened...
Raising priority and severity as putting a system to hibernate and to be not able to restore session can lead to a potential data loss for unsaved work.
Assigned to the package maintainer for Cauldron and MGA8TOO.
(Please set the status to 'assigned' if you are working on it)
mageia, ouaurelien, thierry.vignaudKeywords:
This is severe.
@ Aurelien, did you try the suggested workaround?
Tried and it works!
As it is severe and much wanted, it deserves a subchapter:
Hibernation doesn't work after installation from Mageia-8-x86_64.iso =>
Resuming from hibernation instead start fresh; user loose work
I confirm the bug and that the workaround works.
I can confirm this happening on my HP Probook 6550b. Fortunately, I don't do much of any critical work on this laptop.
The two incidents I remember were when I was reading my morning newspaper. I was called away, and closed the lid to conserve the battery until I returned. LEDs indicated the data was being saved, but when I went to resume it did a cold boot. All I had to do was re-download the newspaper, but still, it was a bit annoying.
Since it's not critical for me I will be leaving this alone, so I can have an untouched system ready to test the update that fixes this when it's sent to QA.
There's an upstream issue for this: https://github.com/dracutdevs/dracut/issues/924
I poked the issue and I'll talk to the developer working on the issue after the Easter holiday in Germany is over.
Verified problem and fix on mga8 Plasma 64 bit installed by classical install,
* upgraded to cauldron * since a while, on Dell Precision M4400.
Partitioning: Dual boot w MSW10, and using LVM.
Verified "add_dracutmodules" line is missing:
# cat /etc/dracut.conf.d/51-mageia-resume.conf
add_device+=" /dev/vg-M4400/lv_swap "
Added the missing line by
# echo 'add_dracutmodules+=" resume "' >> /etc/dracut.conf.d/51-mageia-resume.conf
# dracut -fv
And now suspend-resume works :)
Added the procedure in errata.