Description of problem:
In order to complete our migration from urpmi to DNF, the installer needs to be converted to use DNF. The most obvious way to pull this off would be to move to using libdnf (the core library for DNF, and the library used by PackageKit-Dnf backend).
This will also solve a number of problems related to sanely managing local and online repository configuration for classic installs, as well as giving us a must faster installation process for network installs, among other things.
Since libdnf is a glib2 backed library, it supports GObject Introspection as an bindings engine, so in addition to the hand-crafted Hawkey Python binding, there are automatically generated Python and Perl bindings through G-I. For using libdnf in the installer, Perl through G-I is one way to go.
The other way would be to either use python-hawkey or the higher level DNF API through PyPerl or Inline::Python from Perl. This is also useful if the goal is to gradually transition the installer from Perl to Python.
This is currently in progress. Angelo Naselli has started working on this.
Migrate package installation engine to libdnf =>
Migrate package installation engine to DNFStatus:
This is High priority bug for a good reason.
Making Mageia even better than ever is best direction.
In order to do right thing, this bug should be examined and fixed as soon as possible.
Packagers, please make the status to Assigned when you are working on this.
Feel free to reassign the bug if bad-triaged. Also, if bug is old, please close it.
On October 1st 2020, we will drop priority to normal.
I don' t understand why mirgating from urpmi to dnf is a high priority. THis has not been discussed on the dev ML and I think it's contrary to what other des think we should do.
I don't understand your sarcasm. this bug is open since 2017 :p
My comment 3 was done as mass commit on all High priority report. I haven't seen all of these in particular. Feel free to drop priority.
My intend is to ping all already High priority bug report.
Priority changed to be more appropriate.
(In reply to Angelo Naselli from comment #5)
> I don't understand your sarcasm. this bug is open since 2017 :p
It's not a sarcasm, it's a matter of strategy for Mageia. I've never seen the strategy to drop urpmi in favour of dnf. And in that case, I'm not sure I'd like to continue working with it then. SO thanks David to clarify this is not considered as a high priority for us as a community.
Mageia 7 =>
You know I like you, buy as one goes one comes...
I can't see any real strategies to be honest but that is OT here
No offense, and we like you too :)
Just kind of updating.
State target Mageia 8, and 0% so far
Seems we need decision and/or more manpower?
(In reply to Morgan Leijström from comment #10)
> No offense, and we like you too :)
No worries I gave up years ago :p
> Just kind of updating.
> State target Mageia 8, and 0% so far
> Seems we need decision and/or more manpower?
And I gave up there too, I've seen no one giving any suggestions or help,
Mageia is a great community but sooner or later can't be composed by users only.
I'm always ready to help, but i decided to focus my little spare time in things in wihch i have fun and enjoy.
And btw i had to fight enough with our beautiful installer and rescue to get two systems working with mageia 7 so please don't say all is ok, I'm not a low skilled user...
(In reply to Angelo Naselli from comment #12)
> (In reply to Morgan Leijström from comment #10)
> > No offense, and we like you too :)
> No worries I gave up years ago :p
> > Just kind of updating.
> > https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Feature:Switch_to_DNF
> > State target Mageia 8, and 0% so far
> > Seems we need decision and/or more manpower?
> And I gave up there too, I've seen no one giving any suggestions or help,
> Mageia is a great community but sooner or later can't be composed by users
> I'm always ready to help, but i decided to focus my little spare time in
> things in wihch i have fun and enjoy.
> And btw i had to fight enough with our beautiful installer and rescue to get
> two systems working with mageia 7 so please don't say all is ok, I'm not a
> low skilled user...
I haven't *completely* given up, but I had refocused on trying to get an official Perl binding for DNF to replace all of perl-URPM and urpmi usage with perl-libdnf.
I've got a COPR project with experimental snapshot builds (that are *not* ready for the distro itself yet) that I'm periodically updating as I track development upstream that can be used for porting DrakX over.
OK, thank you for your time, link, and work :)