Bug 13903 - To configure wireless regulatory domain under 'advanced settings' is contra-intuitive
Summary: To configure wireless regulatory domain under 'advanced settings' is contra-i...
Status: NEW
Alias: None
Product: Mageia
Classification: Unclassified
Component: RPM Packages (show other bugs)
Version: Cauldron
Hardware: All Linux
Priority: High enhancement
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Mageia tools maintainers
QA Contact:
URL:
Whiteboard: MGA5TOO
Keywords: 6RC, USABILITY
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2014-08-12 22:50 CEST by Dick Gevers
Modified: 2017-03-26 12:51 CEST (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Source RPM: drakx-net-2.27-1.mga6
CVE:
Status comment:


Attachments

Description Dick Gevers 2014-08-12 22:50:12 CEST
Description of problem:

* drakconnect and/or drakroam

When setting up a wireless connection (wifi) the wireless regulatory domain (WLD) must be set correctly, else it will not work.

To assume that the iso country code is equal to one of the other locale settings is making an often wrong presumption.

My location is NL, my preferred language is en_GB and whenever I set up a wireless connection, the default setting for WLD is GB.

It needs to be (for me) NL and I need to see that I have to "fix" this by hand. If I assume that 'advance settings' are for more experienced users and skip it, wifi will never work. So WLD should be brought out in the open such that anyone configuring wifi will see how it is set, so (s)he can change it.

This is a request for an enhancement, but IMHO a needed one. The more so since installer does not show help screens for networking details.

Reproducible: 

Steps to Reproduce:
Dick Gevers 2014-08-12 22:57:35 CEST

Whiteboard: (none) => 5alpha2

Comment 1 Manuel Hiebel 2014-08-19 22:56:45 CEST
isn't it bug 1015 ? speaking about CRDA witch is set wrong for some countries
Comment 2 Dick Gevers 2014-08-19 23:23:44 CEST
No, I am not just complaining about a wrong setting or a wrong default.

What I am saying is that it is wrong to assume that any previous choice of locale would be a good choice for Wireless Regulatory Domain, and therefore the choice should not be hidden behind the 'advanced settings' button, but rather the user should always be asked to input or confirm the country code.
Comment 3 Manuel Hiebel 2014-08-19 23:30:09 CEST
Oh ok sorry

>but rather the user should always be asked to input or confirm the country code.

I disagree, almost everyone don't know this is, so showing them is not better

Source RPM: drakxnet(-text)-2.12-2.mga5 => drakx-net-2.12-2.mga5
Severity: normal => enhancement

Comment 4 Dick Gevers 2014-08-20 00:40:05 CEST
>I disagree, almost everyone don't know this is, so showing them is not better

Yes, that would be ideal, if the country were always set right automatically. But it simply is not, because locales are often different from expected, so the user is needed. And the user knows best which country (s)he is in.

Besides with a laptop the country can change anytime, so it has be possible to easily adjust it: I need my laptop to work also when I go abroad.
Samuel Verschelde 2015-05-16 18:42:29 CEST

Whiteboard: 5alpha2 => (none)

Samuel Verschelde 2015-05-16 18:42:42 CEST

Keywords: (none) => Triaged

Comment 5 Dick Gevers 2016-03-13 19:55:44 CET
Valid for 6dev1 isos of 11/3/2016

Keywords: (none) => 6dev1

Comment 6 Dick Gevers 2016-05-22 17:45:45 CEST
Please reconsider this is judged an enhancement: it is bothersome for every user and should not be under "advanced" as every user can have the need to access it as pointed out above (sorry to disagree with previous triage).

Valid for 6sta1.

Keywords: 6dev1, Triaged => 6sta1

Samuel Verschelde 2016-10-15 23:45:25 CEST

Assignee: bugsquad => mageiatools

Comment 7 Dick Gevers 2016-11-07 20:35:55 CET
I beg to still disagree this ought to be an enhancement, so thanks in advance to reconsieer the severity.

It never works out of the box as this choice is hidden and default setting always wrong (here).

Summary: To configure wireless regulatory domain under 'advanced settings' is peculiar => [5.1] To configure wireless regulatory domain under 'advanced settings' is contra-intuitive

Marja van Waes 2016-11-08 10:53:20 CET

CC: (none) => marja11
Summary: [5.1] To configure wireless regulatory domain under 'advanced settings' is contra-intuitive => To configure wireless regulatory domain under 'advanced settings' is contra-intuitive
Whiteboard: (none) => MGA5TOO

Marja van Waes 2016-11-08 10:54:36 CET

Keywords: (none) => USABILITY

Comment 8 Samuel Verschelde 2016-11-08 10:58:12 CET
(In reply to Dick Gevers from comment #7)
> I beg to still disagree this ought to be an enhancement, so thanks in
> advance to reconsieer the severity.
> 
> It never works out of the box as this choice is hidden and default setting
> always wrong (here).

Keeping it as enhancement request but raising priority.

Priority: Normal => High

Comment 9 Dick Gevers 2016-12-13 06:53:21 CET
Valid for M6sta2 (viewing installed from Live isos dated 10 DEC 2016)

Keywords: 6sta1 => 6sta2
Source RPM: drakx-net-2.12-2.mga5 => drakx-net-2.27-1.mga6

Comment 10 Dick Gevers 2017-03-26 12:51:04 CEST
Valid for 6RC

Keywords: 6sta2 => 6RC


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.