Description of problem:
gnome-shell consistently uses 70% of CPU when TopIcons extension is enabled.
perf top shows it spent its time in libc, libgirepository & libglib
(lot of allocations)
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
Steps to Reproduce:
1. starts net_applet & hplip applet
You have the following choices:
1. Disable TopIcons until upstream fix the bug.
2. Apply the hack workaround referenced in the upstream bug report (and remove when upstream fix the bug).
3. Rework net_applet and mgaapplet to not use the legacy systray (and accept that HPLIP is not fully functional in GNOME).
4. Don't use GNOME.
I'm not the maintainer of either of these packages, and from the bug report, the bug is in GNOME, not in TopIcons, so reassigning accordingly.
We could also try https://github.com/ubuntu/gnome-shell-extension-appindicator, to see if that works better.
Martin you're the one that made topicon installed by default...
(In reply to Thierry Vignaud from comment #3)
> Martin you're the one that made topicon installed by default...
Yes, and that isn't what's broken.
1. TopIcons is disabled by default (except on the Live ISOs, and I'll change that if this bug isn't fixed).
2. I'm not the GNOME maintainer, so I can't go applying ugly workarounds.
3. I can't be expected to fix every bug in Mageia.
If you think it's OK that the Mageia tools don't work properly in GNOME, fine, I'll just remove the recommends, and stop wasting my time.
I've now tested the app-indicator extension, and that works fine with the hplip applet, with no increased CPU usage. After modifying net_applet to use SNI when running in GHOME, that works too, although there is a problem with the icon scaling.
There is another peculiarity with the app-indicator extension. You need to double-click (left or right button) to get the old left-click action and single-click to get the old right-click action. So TopIcons is preferable IMO.
Created attachment 10980 [details]
Upstream patch that fixes this bug
Upstream have now fixed this bug, and back-ported it to the 3.32 branch. I've tested it locally. and it does the job without any immediately obvious problems.
Patch added and submitted!
Confirmed fixed on the 7-rc Live GNOME ISO.