I had a working KMail instance with a Googlemail IMAP account on Cauldron. Some time ago, there was a workflow that required access to Google Services for Akonadi. The workflow failed, and now I am trying to reconfigure my KMail accout.
The workflow passes now, but no mail is retrieved. The Akonadi resource is marked as ready. The connection settings under Accounts => Receiving => Modify => Advanced can no longer be configured manually. They are greyed out. Although another IMAP account (non-Google) is working fine.
N.B. I installed libkgapi, see also https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1543140
Here libkgapi was used to fix an workflow error, so I guess that it is necessary, though not installed through dependencies in Mageia.
Created attachment 10004 [details]
Excerpt of journal and list of installed packages
did you try whether installing libkgapi fixed it, Ulrich?
(In reply to Marja van Waes from comment #2)
> did you try whether installing libkgapi fixed it, Ulrich?
forget that, it is in your list of installed packages:
After a full upgrade against updates_testing I find the issue in Mageia 6, too.
Please open an upstream bugreport about this.
The Fedora bug report linked in comment #1 is now marked as CLOSED ERRATA. Unfortunately there is no explanation, why and what is the real solution. I tested now KMail in Fedora 27 and it works fine. The configuration items are greyed out, too. libkgapi is installed through dependencies.
Version numbers are
I found additional info:
Quote Carlos E. R.
"Yes, gmail by default uses an auth method called oauth2. Normal mail
clients like daemons can not use this method, they need user
interaction with a web page. Thunderbird currently does support it
8since about a year or so). I don't know if kmail does or not.
If it doesn't, you have to log into the gmail control web page and
"allow login by less secure applications" or similar wording.
That's the trick we have to do to use, for instance, fetchmail."
Quote Luca Beltame
"Note that KMail 5.5, from Applications 17.04 (which should have landed
in TW, or will soon) supports OAuth2 for GMail natively now."
I checked now the Google configuration under
=> My Account => Sign in and Security => Allow less secure Apps is ON
That is why it worked before.
There is a workaround: When you use the server imap.googlemail.com instead of imap.gmail.com, Google oauth is not needed.
You can configure manually e.g. SSL/TLS and Plain.
I had to invoke $ akonadictl vacuum.
As Google identification method works in Fedora, I won't write an upstream bug report as sugested. It is most probably fixed there, and the fix will appear in Mageia.
Closing the bug report as "works for me".