Description of problem:
when switcing between APs (SSIDs), net_applet often displays the wrong AP/SSID. It does eventually correct itself; but haven't timed that.
Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
How reproducible: guessing about 25% of the time
Steps to Reproduce:
1. switch between available APs/SSIDs
2. watch the network-up popup; or hover over the net_applet icon
Created attachment 10290 [details]
screenshot showing bug
1. Network Monitor shows ESSID = HotWings
2. 'iwlist scan' does not contain G5_6529
3. G5_6529 (cellphone tethering) was last used ~9 hours earlier
Created attachment 10907 [details]
screen shot of problem
This bug persists. NetApplet still showing temporary SSID from new DSL modem. This bug is in the Tooltip only -- other displays are correct.
Does this still present in Mageia 7 or Cauldron ?
Yes, on M7 I every now and then notice this when there is a radar alarm on my router. The wifi is cut off and starts automatically after a while, but the applet remains showing "Not connected" for some time.
I am not running M8 much, so the situation has not occured yet.
Mageia 8Source RPM:
UPDATE: After suffering huge losses due to lightning following all my Cat5/6 wiring and destroying LOTS of hardware; I am moving to WiFi in the hopes of avoiding future major losses due to hardwired ethernet.
Attaching various images which illustrate how the WiFi system is easily confused:
1: What I'm implementing
(the following screenshots are from a 2.4GHz-only laptop with freshly installed Mageia 8)
2. No WiFi connection -- this was after many attempts at resolving WiFi issues and connecting to a number of APs (note the list of APs in the Konsole).
3. Before connecting -- shows SSIDs BothWings and Office as available
4. Upon connecting -- note how the SSID changes from BothWings to Wings (a different AP in the router), while net_applet shows connecting to SC which is not even powered on at this moment.
5. After connecting -- I'm apparently connected to Wings, yet net_applet still claims SC...
Created attachment 12826 [details]
What I'm implementing
Created attachment 12827 [details]
No WiFi connection yet
Created attachment 12828 [details]
Before making the connection
Created attachment 12829 [details]
Upon establishing the connection
Created attachment 12830 [details]
After the connection is established
Currently, on my main laptop, net_applet displays SSID=YellowOak belonging to a network I was connected to a WEEK ago, and which is 35 miles away... Yet, it's connected to SSID=HotWings/5GHz:
$ iwconfig wlp3s0
wlp3s0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:"HotWings"
Mode:Managed Frequency:5.5 GHz Access Point: E8:9F:80:1A:CD:E2
Bit Rate=702 Mb/s Tx-Power=22 dBm
Retry short limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Link Quality=68/70 Signal level=-42 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:5938 Missed beacon:0
Network Center, Network Monitor & Wireless Networks each display the correct active SSID; only the tooltip appears to be wrong.