Bug 20513 - Bad permissions on /var/spool/samba
Summary: Bad permissions on /var/spool/samba
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: Mageia
Classification: Unclassified
Component: RPM Packages (show other bugs)
Version: Cauldron
Hardware: i586 Linux
Priority: Normal normal
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Buchan Milne
QA Contact:
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2017-03-18 00:49 CET by katnatek
Modified: 2017-04-28 21:47 CEST (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Source RPM: samba-4.5.5-1.mga6.src.rpm
CVE:
Status comment:


Attachments
commit message of when 'security = share' was removed (1.83 KB, text/plain)
2017-03-30 17:50 CEST, Marja van Waes
Details

Description katnatek 2017-03-18 00:49:11 CET
Description of problem:

Trying to print from remote windows pc fail due to bad permissions on /var/spool/samba

Log of the fail.

mar 17 17:26:08 nacaal smbd[3274]: [2017/03/17 17:26:08.480267,  0] ../lib/param/loadparm.c:1750(lpcf
mar 17 17:26:08 nacaal smbd[3274]:   Ignoring unknown parameter "share modes"
mar 17 17:26:08 nacaal smbd[3274]: [2017/03/17 17:26:08.480688,  0] ../lib/param/loadparm.c:772(lpcfg
mar 17 17:26:08 nacaal smbd[3274]:   Unknown parameter encountered: "share modes"
mar 17 17:26:08 nacaal smbd[3274]: [2017/03/17 17:26:08.480810,  0] ../lib/param/loadparm.c:1750(lpcf
mar 17 17:26:08 nacaal smbd[3274]:   Ignoring unknown parameter "share modes"
mar 17 17:26:25 nacaal smbd[3274]: [2017/03/17 17:26:25.706950,  0] ../source3/printing/printing.c:27
mar 17 17:26:25 nacaal smbd[3274]:   print_job_spool_file: insufficient permissions to open spool fil
mar 17 17:26:26 nacaal smbd[3274]: [2017/03/17 17:26:26.160551,  0] ../source3/printing/printing.c:27
mar 17 17:26:26 nacaal smbd[3274]:   print_job_spool_file: insufficient permissions to open spool file

Solution: change permissions of /var/spool/samba to a+rwxt
found on http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-hardware-18/insufficient-permissions-to-open-spool-104159/
Comment 1 Marja van Waes 2017-03-18 08:41:10 CET
Assigning to the registered maintainer, but CC'ing all packagers collectively, in case the maintainer is unavailable.

CC: (none) => marja11, pkg-bugs
Assignee: bugsquad => bgmilne

Comment 2 David Walser 2017-03-18 23:00:32 CET
Fixed in SVN.  Will be included in the next update.  Thanks for the report.
Comment 3 katnatek 2017-03-19 01:15:00 CET
(In reply to David Walser from comment #2)
> Fixed in SVN.  Will be included in the next update.  Thanks for the report.

Your welcome, also is needed warn about security = share deprecation, i was bitten by that and put a note in the errata page.
Comment 4 Marja van Waes 2017-03-30 17:50:08 CEST
Created attachment 9165 [details]
commit message of when 'security = share' was removed

(In reply to katnatek from comment #3)
> (In reply to David Walser from comment #2)
> > Fixed in SVN.  Will be included in the next update.  Thanks for the report.
> 
> Your welcome, also is needed warn about security = share deprecation, i was
> bitten by that and put a note in the errata page.

Hi Katnatek,

Actually, it was added to the Talk page of the errata ;-)

It was a pain to find useful upstream information, I ended up cloning their git and searching the logs.

On March 5, 2012, Andrew Bartlett pushed a commit that he had already prepared a month earlier. With the message that 'security=share' was deprecated since samba 3.6, he removed all of it.

I'll attach the git log entry of that commit.

Maybe it didn't bite you in 3.6, because an older commit remapped 'security = share' to 'security = user'?

Even if it did bite you now, this is feature instead of a bug, so it doesn't belong in the Errata.

I won't add it to the Release Notes (the place where we communicate about new features), because I doubt many users will be bitten. However, you seem sure this affects many....  please do feel free to add it to the [[Mageia 6 Release Notes]] 

Kind regards,
Marja
Comment 5 katnatek 2017-03-31 00:26:27 CEST
(In reply to Marja van Waes from comment #4)
> Created attachment 9165 [details]
> commit message of when 'security = share' was removed
> 
> (In reply to katnatek from comment #3)
> > (In reply to David Walser from comment #2)
> > > Fixed in SVN.  Will be included in the next update.  Thanks for the report.
> > 
> > Your welcome, also is needed warn about security = share deprecation, i was
> > bitten by that and put a note in the errata page.
> 
> Hi Katnatek,
> 
> Actually, it was added to the Talk page of the errata ;-)
> 
> It was a pain to find useful upstream information, I ended up cloning their
> git and searching the logs.
> 
> On March 5, 2012, Andrew Bartlett pushed a commit that he had already
> prepared a month earlier. With the message that 'security=share' was
> deprecated since samba 3.6, he removed all of it.
> 
> I'll attach the git log entry of that commit.
> 
> Maybe it didn't bite you in 3.6, because an older commit remapped 'security
> = share' to 'security = user'?

Don't know only change the smb.conf file in the mageia 5 cicle for change a printer :)

> 
> Even if it did bite you now, this is feature instead of a bug, so it doesn't
> belong in the Errata. 
> I won't add it to the Release Notes (the place where we communicate about
> new features), because I doubt many users will be bitten. However, you seem
> sure this affects many....  please do feel free to add it to the [[Mageia 6
> Release Notes]] 
> 
> Kind regards,
> Marja

I added in kmown issues https://wiki.mageia.org/en/Mageia_6_Release_Notes#Deprecation_of_shared_security_in_Samba.
Comment 6 David Walser 2017-03-31 14:38:58 CEST
I forgot to say this was fixed in samba-4.5.7-1.mga6.

Just a note that if there are changes in software that would demand a user/sysadmin make some manual adjustments, those do in fact belong in the Release Notes.  The Errata is for actual bugs.
Comment 7 katnatek 2017-04-28 21:47:14 CEST
I forgot to close, good job, thank you

Resolution: (none) => FIXED
Status: NEW => RESOLVED


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.